100+ Best Free WordPress Plugins
I’ve put together a comprehensive list of the best free WordPress plugins available. Every plugin on this list has been hand tested by me and highly recommended for their clean coding, developer support, ability to do what they say they do and overall performance.
The truth is, there are tons of great free plugins on the WordPress Plugin Directory, but it takes a lot of trial and error to figure out exactly which ones are the most useful, have the fewest bugs and actually do what they say they will. And that’s why this list is important and necessary.
After you read through the list, please bookmark this page so you can refer back to it for more free WordPress plugins. You can also share this page with your friends so that they can also get the benefits of using the best free WordPress plugins for their websites too.
I’ll be updating this list of the best free WordPress plugins often, so please check back for new plugins periodically.
Last Updated 1/27/2017
Best Free WordPress Plugins Complete List
Performance & SEO
Jetpack – One of the most all inclusive plugins out there, this one ranks high on my list. Jetpack has everything from analytics, to image optimization and share buttons. it also include a custom css feature that lets you edit the look of your site without breaking it. Jetpack is the ideal solution for new bloggers and business owners who are just getting started with WordPress.
Yoast SEO – The absolutely gold standard in WordPress SEO plugins right now. Yoast is excellent, well maintained and secure. The plugin also allows you to customize your Google Snippet to perfect your title, description and more. Highly recommended!
W3 Total Cache – W3 is the free WordPress caching plugin that most websites use today. It’s lightweight, but has tons of advanced features for more savvy website owners. To get started with W3 Total Cache, check out this quick and easy video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l57BOt3BZjA
AMP – Unless you’re a developer or a pro blogger, you might not have heard about this one yet. Google is ranking AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) higher than all other sites. This plugin will walk you through the process and help you to setup AMP on your WordPress site.
WPtouch – There is absolutely no excuse for not having a mobile-friendly site in 2017, especially since Google now penalizes you for it. But, if you’re still living in the pre-mobile era, this plugin can help. WPtouch will generate a basic, no frills mobile site for you.
SEO Friendly Images – Adding titles, alt keywords and descriptions to your images by hand is always the best way to go. But, if you don’t have the time or energy to go through every single post and page to check your images, this plugin can be a life saver. It will automatically add meta data to your image based on your post titles to help you maximize SEO.
Ultimate Nofollow – When you link to spammy sites, unrelated sites or sites that have a negative reputation on Google, they could be dragging down your page rank. This plugin will make sure that doesn’t happen by allowing you to check a box to “nofollow” iffy links when you need to.
WP-Optimize – Super simple and does just what it says it will. Use WP Optimize to delete spam, remove old blog post revisions and cleanup your database in just a few clicks. Then, deactivate when you’re done. It’s that simple.
Alexa Claim and Certify – A lot of people might not know this, but claiming and certifying your site with Alexa.com can actually increase your rank…quite a bit. If you’re a blogger with sponsored content or otherwise need stats like your Alexa score to demonstrate your influence, it’s a great idea to install this plugin asap.
Traffic & Marketing
Google Analytics Dashboard for WP – This is a great Google Analytics plugin. It’s easy to setup and gives you tons of detailed analytics right from your WordPress dashboard, including information about your website visitors, most popular posts and traffic referral sources.
WordPress Related Posts – This plugin adds a beautifully designed related posts section under each of your blog posts, helping you to get more clicks and keep visitors on your site longer. It also gives you a lot of great options for ways you can customize your related posts for your audience.
UpPrev – A great, simple slide-out box that prompts visitors to click over to another related post. This is a great option for getting more engagement, since it’s more active than passive, much like a newsletter popup form.
Genesis eNews Extended – A clean and simple, totally free plugin from StudioPress that allows you create a newsletter form on your website with nearly any newsletter service, including MailChimp, Aweber, FeedBlitz and Constant Contact.
SumoMe – This plugin has a load of important marketing tools. You can start off with some basic tools for free, including a popup to help you collect emails fast, and event get statistics on how your popups are performing.
Leadin (by HubSpot) – Anther great, free WordPress plugin for creating a newsletter popup. Leadin is great, because you’ll get more options upfront to customize your popup form and add images without having to upgrade to the pro version.
Content Upgrades – If you’re looking for more than a newsletter, but not ready to take on a full marketing funnel yet, this is a great way to get started with some basic marketing. Content Upgrades allows you to place a form in your content and give away freebies in return for a email address.
- WooCommerce (set up and online store on your website)
- Easy Digital Downloads (allows you to sell digital content to your audience)
- Easy Adsense (allows you to integrate Adsense ads within your posts)
- Simple Share Buttons Adder (clean, simple and easy to setup)
- Pinterest Pin It Button for Images (ads a custom Pin button to all of your blog images)
- Easygram (easily import all of your Instagram photos into your WordPress blog)
- Floating Social Bar (adds a floating share bar to every blog post)
- JetPack Share Buttons (formerly ShareDaddy – simple and easy to activate share buttons)
- Shareaholic | email, bookmark, share (fun share buttons that stand out with on-site analytics)
- JetPack Comments (a super simple comment box with social login)
- CommentLuv (let your readers share a link back to their website in your comments section)
- CoSchedule (simple drag and drop calendar that also let’s you schedule social shares)
- Edit Flow (set up your own editorial calendar and designate work to contributors)
- Editorial Calendar (drag and drop editorial tasks)
- My Comments Manager (notify each post author when there are new comments on their posts)
- Simple Local Avatars (add a custom head shot/avatar on every user profile)
- Star Box (show an author bio box on every post – connects to their user profile)
- WordPress Author Profile Avatars List (add a list of authors to your sidebar)
- Wordfence Security (malware scan, WordPress firewall and overall security)
- Akismet (auto-delete the majority of spam comments on your blog)
- Easy Tynt (copying analytics and copyright protection)
- WP-CopyProtect (prevents visitors from copying your content and images, allows admin privileges)
- Limit Login Attempts (prevents hackers from logging into your site through multiple attempts)
- Simple Login Log (track login attempts on your site to protect against malicious behavior)
- Pretty Link Lite (allows you to create a custom link for any url – great for affiliate marketers)
- Click to Tweet (create a custom tweet within a post that readers can tweet out)
Web Design Plugins
- CSS Plus (adds a unique custom css box to each page / post)
- WP Post Signature (adds a custom signature to the bottom of every post)
- Add New Default Avatar (add a custom default avatar to your comments section)
- Regenerate Thumbnails (regenerates all your thumbnails when you see they aren’t fitting correctly)
- Ultimate Coming Soon Page (create a totally custom splashpage, edit css, add html, anything!)
More Great Free Plugins
- Easy Recipe (creates a custom recipe layout and integrates with Ziplist)
- ZipList Recipe Plugin (readers can easily save their favorite recipes)
- Recipe Rich Pins for Pinterest (add meta data to your Pinterest pins)
- Post-It for Writers (add a post-it note widget to your dashboard and posts)
- Audio Player (easily add a custom mp3 player to any page or post)
- Archives (this creates an archive page with jquery tabs for tags, categories, etc.)
Best Free Genesis Framework Plugins
- Simple Social Icons (insert your social profile icons in any widget area)
- Genesis Responsive Slider (a slider that works perfectly with mobile responsive Genesis themes)
- Genesis Simple Edits (customize the links in your post info or footer credits)
- Genesis Simple Hooks (adds code snippets or ads anywhere on your site)
- Genesis Title Toggle (remove the title on any post or page)
- Genesis eNews Extended (mail form that can handle Feedburner or MailChimp)
- Genesis Featured Widget Amplified (supports custom post types, tags, etc.)
- Genesis Connect for WooCommerce (seamlessly integrate WooCommerce into any Genesis theme)
Not a Genesis user? Check out their top of the line themes here.
Do you have a favorite plugin? I’d love to check it out and maybe even include it on this page. Email your plugin ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.